What You Can Bring Into the Czech Republic
– Czech Customs laws are usually lax, but official allowances for importing duty-free goods are:
– 200 cigarettes (or 250g of tobacco),
– 1 liter of alcohol (or 2 liters of wine),
– and 50 grams of perfume (or .25 liters of toilet water).
– Most items brought for personal use during a visit aren’t liable to import duty.
– Gifts are taxable if the quantity and value aren’t in keeping with the “reasonable needs” of the recipient.
– If you enter or leave the E.U. with € 10 000 or more in cash, you must declare it to Customs.
– Live farm animals, plants, produce, coffee, and tea may not be imported, but household pets can enter with an international health certificate.

What You Can Take Home from the Czech Republic
– There are few restrictions on what you can take out of the Czech Republic.
– The main exception is items with special historical or cultural value.
– To be exported, an antique or work of art must have an export certificate.
– Reputable shops should be willing to advise customers on how to comply with the regulations.
– If a shop can’t provide proof of the item’s suitability for export, be wary.

Tax-Free Shopping
– Under certain circumstances, you can receive a refund of the 21% value-added tax payable on:
– purchases over 2,001 Kc, provided the goods are taken out of the country soon after purchase.
– Ask about “Tax-Free Shopping” at the store when you purchase the goods, and make sure to collect all of the necessary stamps and receipts. You can get a cash refund at the store or the airport.
– If you request a refund in a store, you will need your passport.
– Tax-Free service is provided by Global Blue and Premier Tax-Free.

Citizens of USA
– For specifics on what you can bring back, download the invaluable free pamphlet Know Before You Go online at (Click on “Travel,” then click on “Know Before You Go! Online Brochure”)
– Or contact the U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP), 1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20229 (tel. 877/287-8667) and request the pamphlet.

Citizens of Canada
– Ask for the booklet I Declare, issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500;

Citizens of the U.K.
– Who is returning from a European Union (E.U.) country will go through a separate Customs Exit (called the “Blue Exit”), especially for E.U. travelers.
– In essence, there is no limit on what you can bring back from an E.U. country, provided the items are for personal use (including gifts) and you have already paid the necessary duty and tax.
– Exact information is available at this link

Citizens of Australia
– Know Before You Go is a helpful brochure available from Australian consulates or Customs offices.
– For more information, call the Australian Customs Service at tel. 1300/363-263, or log on to

Citizens of New Zealand
– For more information, contact New Zealand Customs, The Customhouse, 17-21 Whitmore St., Box 2218, Wellington (tel. 04/473-6099 or 0800/428-786;

WITH YOU SINCE 1993 +420 773 103 102